Katrin's Krafts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A selection of craft information for artisans of the HFS.

Tell A Great Story The Easy Way

Admin
    Admin

Tell A Great Story The Easy Way  Empty Tell A Great Story The Easy Way

Post  Admin Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:46 pm

If you're like me, when I decided to start storytelling, I had no idea how to begin. None of my friends were storytellers … nobody in my family indulged in this vocation. There were certainly no books to teach storytelling to a beginner like me. There was no easy way for me to learn storytelling.

I wanted a book that was easy to understand and that had step-by-step instructions specifically written for a beginner to storytelling.

I also wanted to learn how to tell stories to anyone – it did not have to be only to children or only to adults.

I spent hours looking for a “learn to tell stories” specifically for beginners; none was to be found. I bought the books on Amazon.com which other people recommended and found that they were so difficult, that I gave up half way. They gave so many alternatives to telling one story that I did know where to begin or where to end.

You will tell your story with fun and ease by following the step-by-step, instructions in How To Tell A Great Story (7th Edition - Revised).

Did you know that there are a million little tips, tricks and secrets and storytelling techniques that storytellers whisper to each other, but don't always publish in their books?

This book is different; it reveals secrets and techniques that you need to make your story a great one.

How To Tell A Great Story (7th Edition - Revised) is divided into 7 easy-to-follow steps, described in easy-to-understand language.

Each step is chock-full of tips and short cuts to make your learning easy and telling your first story fun. No holding back. Nothing is left out. When you finish your first stories, you will know the secrets of experienced and professional storytellers that many storytellers with years of experience don't know!

Once you have mastered the 7 Steps, you will be ready to try more difficult stories. This Guide shows you close to 45 different ways in which you can create different stories - taking your storytelling beyond your wildest dreams.

The storytelling techniques described in this resource will serve as a solid foundation for your storytelling legacy. This Guide describes how to organise your story, set a theme, understand how many characters there should be in your story and when you’re really proficient, we even encourage you to venture further to consider selling your stories. In our Bonus material, we even show you how to protect your copyright as a storyteller.

Here's a Hint of the Storytelling Guidelines You Get in
    How To Tell A Great Story (7th Edition - Revised)

STEP 1 - Vital Preparation To Help You Tell Your Great Story

Excerpts:
    Imagine this: you are standing in an empty room. You are an artist and would like to paint a picture. But, there are no canvas, no paints, no brushes and not even an easel. How are you possibly going to get that masterpiece of yours on canvas without even these basic items in hand?

Likewise, in storytelling, if you do not have some of the most basic equipment in hand, then how are you possibly going to tell that great story of yours?
    Once you master this step, you will be prepared to tell a story at any time, INSTANTLY.

STEP 2 - Themes Of Your Great Story

Excerpts:
    The following is a conversation between an Advertising Executive and his Boss. The Boss has just completed going over the Executive's masterpiece – a presentation for a client - from cover to cover.
    Executive : So, what did you think of the story I told?
    Boss: Well, it’s quite long. I can see you’ve got an exotic setting and the adventures and so on. It’s even an interesting time period. But … what is it about?
    Executive: What do you mean, ‘What is it about?’
    Boss: What is it about?
    Executive : Is it not clear from reading my work?
    Boss: Errr … no.
    [There’s absolute silence for the next two minutes as the Executive thinks of what to say. Then, … ]
    Executive: I’ll think about it and let you know.
    One of the tips revealed in this section are the set of over 45 different topics for your stories. When you complete this section, you will also know how to generate your own stories.

STEP 3 - The Reasons For Telling Your Great Story

Excerpts:
    Have you ever been in the following situation?

You are present when the person conducting the meeting is trying to relay a message by telling a story. Not only is the story deadly dull, you cannot but help ask the question, “Why is he telling me this?” Just as you complete this thought, you look down to stifle a yawn. When you look up, you know that this person has noted your boredom by the manner in which he avoids making eye-contact with you for the rest of the time. At the end of this session, you come to hear from the rest of your colleagues that they too were bored silly by this person’s presentation.
    When you master this step, you will never waver from the focus of your story ... And no one will ever be bored when you tell a story.

STEP 4 - It's All About The People

Excerpts:
    Let’s take this example: you’re an executive in a corporation and need to make a presentation about the company’s newest product to potential investors. The product is a new line of perfumes which cater for women. You go out of your way to explain all of this and think that you can do convince your boss by telling a story.

You realise that you've failed in this when, at the end of your presentation, your boss says,
    “I’m sorry, but I think you don't understand that the product applies to a woman, not a man,” [emphasis added].

With this step, from now on, you will ALWAYS describe your characters to perfection. The people you speak about will just come alive with the words you use to describe them ... EVERY SINGLE TIME.

STEP 5 - Paint Your Setting

Excerpts:
    Have you ever just wanted to converse with someone and find that you have nothing to say? Are your answers just monosyllabic ones? Would you like to be a more engaging conversationalist?

Here’s a very simple way in which you can do this. Read this paragraph and you’ll see just what I mean:
    I am in the Kuala Lumpur International Airport waiting for someone to arrive. I begin to observe things around me. What I notice is this: The colours featured most in here are silver and blue because of the steel frames and the marble flooring. I know that one of the trees outside produces the jasmine flowers but I cannot smell them. All I hear are people speaking English but with a huge American accent. The taste of the coffee is strong as it is from one of the many ‘imported’ outlets like San Francisco Coffee or Coffee Bean. The air-conditioning must be set on "High" because I’m freezing!
    From now on, you'll ALWAYS describe a place so well that your audience will feel like they've been there!

STEP 6 - Join The Dots

Excerpts:
    People often do not believe that the 'three act drama' in storytelling is used in business. Let me surprise you. Read the following passage.

[What is in black is usually the terms that marketing gurus use. What is in red is how the three act drama applies to the sales letter]
    Part 1 - Act 1

Headline and Sub-headline –
    these are intended to immediately capture the interest of your reader - the hero in this three act drama.

Introduce the problem - relate to the reader and explain product –
    this is the part where the hero's main conflict and all that is at stake to him are stated.
    ... Do you understand why marketing gurus constantly say, "Only the long sales letter will work!" - that is simply because by setting out the long sales letter, you would have told a complete and compelling story of your product.
    Believe me, this works!

STEP 7 - It’s All A Matter Of Style

Excerpts:
    I once had a conversation with a gentleman that went something like this:
    Mr. X: Let me tell you the story of Adam. His father, Steven was looking after him. He was really a very nice guy but was born with deformities. He grew up in an unhappy home and his father used to abuse him. He ended up going to jail you know.
    Now, I was confused. There were many thoughts going through my mind:
    1. Was Adam a nice guy but born with deformities?
    2. Was Steven a nice guy but born with deformities?
    3. Did Adam grow up in an unhappy home where Steven used to abuse him?
    4. Did Steven grow up in an unhappy home where Adam's grandfather abused Steven?
    5. And really, who ended up going to jail - the grandfather, Steven or Adam?

With this step you will learn to have your own style of storytelling which will appeal to your audience and engage them in your great story

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm