A selection of craft information for artisans of the HFS.

Quest Writing

Admin
    Admin

Quest Writing

Post  Admin on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Where do we start? The first thing people
    should know is you don't have to be an officer to write a quest. That is one of the
    most common misconceptions about quests.

The next that people should know is there are
    two different types of quest. One is a role-play quest this where the participant must
    use verbal interaction to accomplish a goal. The other is a fighting quest this is
    where participants need only battle to reach there objective. It is best to get a balance
    between the two this can help in order to keep everyone happy and begging for
    more. Quests that do not require any active Roleplay on the part of the
    Questors are just new battlegames rather than actual Quests.

With all that said the third thing people
    should know is you can't make everyone happy. So don't be discouraged if people come
    to you some criticism because for every person that criticizes your quest there
    are three that enjoyed it. I know it may not feel like it but as long as one person
    enjoyed your quest then it is worth it.
    As a wise man once said, "There are no perfect plans just perfect
    intentions."

The first rule in planning your quest is know
    your participants. This helps in many
    ways knowing your participants gives you the strength of your characters, the
    size of your quest, how much help your going to need running it, what it takes
    to keep all parties interested, and many other things that can't all be listed
    here. You don't have to know each person, you don't even have to like them, but
    it helps to have a general knowledge of the group likes and dislikes.

Every quest starts with a single idea. This
    idea can come from anywhere a dream, television show, literature, movies, or a
    game. I personally have got idea for quest watching people playing with a fire
    at five in the morning. Wherever this idea comes from it always best to have a
    basic concept in mind before you start attempting to write a Quest.

The next thing you will need to consider is the
    size or how many people your expecting to have participate. Here it helps to overestimate,
    meaning plan for more than you may need. This for the simple reason its easier
    to trim down a quest for a small turnout than it is to beef up one for a
    unexpected crowd. . However, you should keep in mind that no Quest should use
    more than a third of the players as Quest Characters.

Then think about what kind of quest you want.
    Will your quest be combat heavy or Roleplay heavy? As mentioned before it is wise to keep a fairly even mixture of
    both aspects. This will also give a your participants time to rest between your
    battles or give them a chance to beat something up. One important thing is to
    give your participants something to keep them from using all their lives in the
    first battle.

The process is not completely finished until
    the quest is over. It just takes different forms. These forms will often flow
    from one part to the next with ease. Unfortunately there is no concrete set of
    rules for writing a quest all I can do is present you with the guidelines I use
    when I write one. The actual writing
    out of the quest is the most difficult part for most Quest Masters.

The first paragraph is an introduction that
    setups up the back story for the quest.
    This is the part that explains to your players why they are involved in
    this adventure. It is best to have this written out in an almost script like
    fashion so that it can be presented in a bit of Roleplay.

The next few paragraphs describe the
    interactions. These paragraphs should include all the Quest characters, their
    class information and their personal motivations. I also assign a goal for each
    encounter. I usually begin with how the
    characters and the participants meet. I note the general outlook of the
    character/s encountered and present that information to the person playing the
    characters in advance so they know how to react when the encounter
    happens.

For each encounter I write up an estimated time
    allowance and a pair of outcomes what will happen if the Questors succeed in
    the goal and what will happen if they have not succeeded in the goal of the
    encounter. A goal may be to get past some monsters, to collect an item or even
    just to obtain some information. It all
    depends on the story you are telling.
    The number of encounters depends on the time you have allowed to
    play. I generally have five or six
    lesser encounters before the final battle that will reveal the secret to
    resolving the Quest.

The final paragraph is the conclusion of the
    Quest. This is where any lasting
    effects from the Quest are noted and will be explained in a scripted RP format
    much like the introduction. Basically
    this answers the question of "What happens now?" You should have an
    alternate ending to the Quest just in case the final goal is not completed.

The final quest write up should include a list
    and complete information on each of the characters and monsters used. These should be written in the standard
    format of the rulebook for the reeve's sake.
    Now the Quest can be submitted.
    Don't be upset if the monarch asks you to make changes before
    they can approve your quest. Many don't get their quest approved on the first try. All
    I can say make the changes and resubmit. As the cliché says, "If at first you don't
    succeed try, try again."

Once your Quest approved and a date set, you
    will need to gather up all the props, print outs of monster write up, monster
    garb, items to define your locations, and anything else required to help your quest run more
    smoothly, such as your reeve/s. I advise gathering all required garb and props
    before you get a date set.

Now you should advertise! Especially if you have a low turn out or
    there hasn't been a Quest in your lands in awhile. This let people know that
    you are doing something different and allows them to prepare. If you can manage
    a RP build up to the issue that the Quest will resolve that would be of great
    benefit when you start to play the Quest out.

The day of the Quest, arrive early. This will give you time to set -up your
    location. If you have anything that needs to be hidden, do that first. If possible, rope off the different areas
    for the quest. This will clearly mark terrain differences and keep arguments to
    a minimum. No one should have any
    opportunity to plead ignorance when arrows come flying through a castle wall or
    finding out that they've died because they were standing in the middle of a
    lake. Make sure your participants and your characters, and your Reeves all know
    the boundaries before play starts.

For the actual quest if your set-up done right
    the quest will run itself. This is still a game and for these fifteen seconds
    it is yours, for you are the Quest Master. Be prepared there will be disputes
    and turmoil, but when it's all over it'll be worth it.

Once your Quest has been run reflect and
    recalculate. First ask around see what could have been changed to make the
    Quest better. Most people will give you an honest answer that can be added to
    your next quest. Any suggestions, good or bad, can help make the process easier
    for next time. Don't worry if you think
    it didn't go right, as long as your participants enjoyed it, it was a grand
    success!

Current date/time is Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:11 pm