Katrin's Krafts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A selection of craft information for artisans of the HFS.

How to make Bath Salts

Admin
    Admin

How to make Bath Salts Empty How to make Bath Salts

Post  Admin Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:41 pm

They really are almost too easy...and pretty hard to mess up. It's a great recipe/project for kids...or kids who want to help their parent make something special.

I know...I know...we've become a culture of quick showers rather than long luxurious baths...but the times when we do want to take a long soak, adding some scented and/or therapeutic salts to the water really make the bath wonderful.

For this basic bath salts recipe you'll need:

* Some salt - I prefer a mixture of sea salt and epsom salt, but there are many different types of salt both rare and common
    * Some scent - you can use skin-safe fragrance oils or for an aromatherapy bath, essential oils
    * Some glass or metal bowls to mix it in
    * Some whisks and/or spoons to mix it
    * A container to put it in - preferably air tight like a mason or other jar. (Plastic is better than glass around the bath tub if you can get it, though some fragrance or essential oils will warp and discolor plastic.)

Optional ingredients include:

* Color - either liquid soap colors or micas work well
    * Baking Soda - acts as a skin softener and water conditioner

You can experiment with exactly what combination of salts you have on hand or prefer...but I prefer a 3:2 ratio of Epsom salt and sea salt. So a basic bath salts recipe would be:

* 3 cups Epsom Salt
    * 2 cups sea salt
    * 1/4 ounce of fragrance or essential oil

Measure out the salts and mix them together well, making sure to break up any clumps. Here is where you would add in your baking soda. To this recipe, I would add 1 cup of baking soda...for a 3:2:1 ratio of salts to the baking soda.

* 3 cups Epsom Salt
    * 2 cups sea salt
    * 1 cup baking soda
    * 1/4 ounce of fragrance or essential oil

I like about 1-2% fragrance or essential oil in my salts. That amounts to about 1/4 ounce of fragrance for this recipe. (If you put too much fragrance, your salts will tend to clump.)

For a natural look, just scoop it into a clear or colored jar and put the lid on. Done!

Note, I'm just using a simple mason jar here to hold the salts. I've seen bath salts packaged in everything from small plastic bags, to paper sacks, to test tubes, to lovely plastic bottles, to seasonal coffee cups and more. Anything that will hold the salt, keep it sealed from the air, and not react to the fragrance or essential oil is great.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:08 am